Great Northern Bean Stew
by Zachary Dunn
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- (Optional) Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Make sure not to overdo the brown sugar. It came out a little too sweet the first time I made it. Maybe even try half or leave it and the vinegar out.